1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help with sexing please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roselerfarm, Nov 8, 2015.

1. roselerfarm

roselerfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    Hi. Thanks for taking the time to read and help. I'm very new to poultry and have purchased 4 birds. We are only wanting hens but wanted baby ones to grow up with our kids and be fairly friendly. So we took a risk at buying young ones and are hoping they are girls. Ideally we would like to find out for sure ASAP before our children get too attached if one happens to be a rooster we will have to find it a good new home. So any help I would very much appreciate .

We have 2 x Australorps, 1 x Gold laced Wyandotte and 1 x Plymouth Rock various ages [​IMG]

2. roselerfarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple more photos.

3. roselerfarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    [​IMG]

4. roselerfarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    Anyone?

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Unfortunately, the pics need to be close-ups - ideally from the side, top and one of the head. Tell-tale signs include saddle feathers, hackle feathers and comb development. It may also be useful to add the age of each bird.

CT

1 person likes this.
  6. roselerfarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    Here's a few pics of the australorps I took this morning. Hope they are girls. I only got them last week and the lady said between 6-8 weeks old. I'm not sure how accurate that is. Opinions on hens or roo's appreciated. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your Australorps look to be about 6 weeks old. Your Wyandotte looks to be about 3 or 4 weeks old. The Rock looks no older than a week or so. None of them look like obvious males yet.

8. negrita

negrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    at 4 weeks my australorp already had pink comb at 8 weeks he tries to sing has a huge comb and already tried to or did mate my ss ive had him since a chick and i have 2 australorp girls urs are girls

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 You might want to post new photos in 6-8 weeks- when gender features will appear more prominent

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by