can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jodyjkendrick, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jodyjkendrick

jodyjkendrick New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    We had 3 babies hatch yesterday morning, and they are doing fine, but one egg didn't start hatching until this morning. He broke almost all the way free, but couldn't seem to do the rest on his own, so we helped him out of the egg-VERY GENTLY! This was at about noon today, and now we see that one of his legs will not straighten out and he can't stand up. He keeps trying and trying, but only manages to flail around. I did get him to drink a bit of sugar water, and of course we're keeping him warm. We have let our hens hatch out many biddies, but only now have we ever had a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just want the poor little guy to make it! Any suggestions would hep, and thank you!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    You may want to check out this link: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

He
    sounds very weak. You may be able to give him some infant polyvistol (without iron). I know that people often times give this to chickens to help them gain their strength back.

I hope your chick gets better soon. What are you using for bedding?
    Is it possible you could post a picture? That would help a lot.

3. jodyjkendrick

jodyjkendrick New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    Thanks for your reply! I have a few pictures of him on my computer, not sure how to put them on here. Right now we have him in a box with just some old towels under him, and a light, is there something else I should be using? The main problem seems to be that he can't stand up because his leg won't straighten out, so in turn, he can't move around. Any idea how to post my pictures? Thanks so much for all the help with the little guy!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Here is a link on how to upload pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504
    You
    may have to post more in order to upload pictures, though (its to prevent spammers).

The reason I asked what bedding you were using was because a lot of times people will use newspaper. I DO NOT reccomend using newspaper. The ink on the newspaper tends to be slippery and will sometimes give chicks leg conditions. But old towels is a very good bedding to use for such a young chick. Is he seperated from the other chicks? A lot of times people will make a hospital box for a sick chick to prevent the chick from getting trampled. You may want to seperate him (just be sure he is kept at 90-95 degrees)
    Be sure he has access to water and food (since he isn't too mobile, you may need to assist him a bit.) Dip his beak in the water to encourage drinking.

5. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    I had an egg pip, and get all twisted up and I had to hatch her out by hand, she had problems to begin with, but she got over them, and is healthy now.

Best of luck to you!

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Check that the downy feathers are not just stuck together preventing him from straightening out his leg. You can also work his leg a bit to go into the right position. He may have a bit of a slipped tendon. Don't be afraid to hold it and to work the leg. We have had chicks do this same thing for a day or so and then finally start to walk around. Takes them a bit but don't give up.

7. jodyjkendrick

jodyjkendrick New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/66952_baby_003.jpg https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/66952_baby_002.jpg https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/66952_baby_001.jpg Not sure if I put the pictures on here correctly! Yes, we have him in a box in our house, away from the other chicks. He's drinking a little bit of sugar water, with encouragement, and seems to be trying to eat a little bit. He's just not very strong and can not hold his head up very well. He's still hanging in there, though!

8. jodyjkendrick

jodyjkendrick New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    Sunny, when you said "infant polyvistol" did you mean as in baby formula? I know this sounds silly, sorry!

9. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    May help to wet the crumbles into a mash. Then try to get it to take a bit off of your finger. I think the polyvisol with mo iron is a good idea too. It needs all of the energy it can get. Sugar water will do until you can get the vitamins. As others have said, don't give up on it, they are amazing resilient creatures. Good luck and keep us posted.

10. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Baby vitamins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by