1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by scaredinkandas, Dec 2, 2013.

1. scaredinkandas

scaredinkandas New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    I am new to the country & when I moved here there were 11 cats. 6 kittens & 5 adult cats. The kittens were so wild I could not get near them & only 1 adult grew to trust me. A part Siamese female. Lss....every single one of the cats except for her has disappeared. One a night it seems. I brought her in the house & litter trained her. She was pregnant & now I have 6 cats in the house. I'm deathly afraid to put them back outside. What is happening to these cats & what can I do??? I am so sad some of those cats were just beautiful:'(

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    coyotes might have gotten them or they just moved on. Have you heard any coyotes? do you have wild dogs around there?

3. scaredinkandas

scaredinkandas New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    Yes I hear coyotes almost every night. One just vanished in a matter of only 10 mins. I've been so upset about this. Would coyotes come that close to my house???

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It depends on how hungry the coyotes are. Where I used to live we frequently saw coyotes and heard them almost every night. I had poultry, sheep, goats, and pigs. I never lost any livestock to coyotes. I think there were two reasons for this. One, the coyotes had plenty of natural food available, and two, I had big territorial dogs. A lot of things will kill cats besides coyotes: stray dogs, hawks, and owls to name a few.

5. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Definitely agree about coyotes or other predators that may live in your area. Also, if you had un-neutered males, they may have taken to roaming and simply left the area.

6. scaredinkandas

scaredinkandas New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    No I'm sure they wouldn't have left. They were only 6 mo old kittens. Others were adults that were at least 10 yrs old. I heard a horrible cat fight one night out of my window & I know it was the last Tom cat I had left because I had already brought the female inside. He was a little more wild. Anyway, it woke the dog & I up at 5:52 in the morning. I will never forget it. I never saw him again:'(
    And what's even more weird, a Tom cat that I had never seen before has been visiting us off & on for almost a year now. How is this one surviving & all of the others have disappeared??? I'm just baffled & so upset about this.

7. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Some un neutered toms will fight and kill kittens and other toms for the breeding rights to the females. You may have had some of that happening along with other predator problems.
    Aprille

8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Coyotes will eat the cats and yes males will kill the kittens and stuff.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    6 months is prime time for males to reach sexual maturity and head off looking for females.
    cats have taken it hard here on and off over the years--no coyotes but I'm pretty sure some raccoons dined on kitten. The highway gets some, and some, usually males, just leave.

Thank you Lord for providing the finances to get all our cats spayed or neutered. It felt weird not to have kittens last year, but so nice not to worry about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by