Can Anyone Identify His Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by queenbeezz, Nov 9, 2010.

1. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    A friend brought me this rooster, she bought him out of a bin at Tractor Supply as a chick in March of this year. He's sweet with us but he terrorizes my geese. I'm waiting for my big gander to put a hurting on him and maybe he'll learn.

[​IMG]His name is Lowman (as Low man on the totem pole). My RR Roo, Rufus, keeps him in his place.

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/52975_fugs_and_lowman_018.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Red-sex link rooster. They are also called by several other names, but all the same critter. [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, he's a red sex link.

4. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    he's beautiful :)

5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    red sex link or golen commet or cinamen quween or golld sex link or red star or golld star they are all the same but hacherys love to fool you into thinking that they are diferent breeds but they are not relly a breed at all but a hibred egg layer

6. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Red Sex-links have many names, so it does get confusing. However, this is not a Red sex-link. It is an Amber-link bird, which is the result of a Rhode Island Red cock crossed with a White Rock hen.

Comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the first one has barred hackles, but the second doesn't. The first is the Red Sex-link, and the second is the Amber-link. Doesn't the Amber-link resemble your bird more?

7. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Red sex-link is any bird that has a female with reddish colouring. 'Amber-link' is just one of the names of a red sex-link.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

9. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I do not wish to turn this into an argument, nor do I wish to hijack the topic. But please educate me. I have always thought that Red Sex-links were different crosses than Amber-links. Red Sex-links are supposedly created by breeding a Production Rhode Island Red with a Delaware. I thought that Amber-links were different in that they were Rhode Island Red males on a White Plymouth Rock female?

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    from www.chickenbreeds.info:

With most standard breeds of chickens you will not be able to be certain of the sex of your chicks until around 3 months old. With sex-linked breeds you can tell the sex of the chicks on the day that they are born. There are some sex links which use differences in featheriong to sex them but the easiest ones to sex are those which hatch out a certain colour. They are generally known as Black Sex Links, or Red Sex Links although there are many different named sex-linked breeds under those general umbrella terms. Black Sex Links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster and a Barred Rock hen. Red Sex Links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware Hen.

I am also relatively sure you could cross a buckeye with one of the above hens and get a red sex-link chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by