Can anyone identify Peanut's breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FreeChicken!, Nov 20, 2010.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    I've had this hen since spring 2009 and she's really relaxed and chubby and fluffy. It takes forever to catch her, but once I do, she practically melts in my hands! Very sweet. Her name is Peanut, but the way.

Anyways, everyone keeps telling me that she's a Buff Orpington, but I know she isn't. Here's some pics. Can anyone help me identify the breed? Or is she a mixed breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that last picture, she's the hen next to the rooster.

So! Any ideas? I'm thinking she's a Cornish, but I don't know... Oh, and by the way, these are the most recent pics I have of Peanut and they're from when she was six or seven months old. Except for the last pic. In that, she's almost a year old. Anyways, I need help!!

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Looks like a buff orp to me. Is she from a hatchery?

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would guess she's a Buff Rock, or a Buff Rock or Buff Orpington cross (she can't be purebred Buff Orpington because she has yellow legs).

She's not a Cornish, those have big thick legs and hard tight feathering.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree with cowgirl.BOs have pink legs

5. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    How pretty! I agree with cowgirl. Shes BEAUTIFUL!

6. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Awww, thanks! She is pretty (and cute!).

Yes, she's from a hatchery. She and dozens of other chicks were all mixed up in tubs. Soooo... that's why I don't know Pea's breed.

Yes, I thought she was a mixed breed. I don't know, but maybe she's an official breed, but I'm almost positive that she's a mixed breed. [​IMG]

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    FreeChicken! :

Awww, thanks! She is pretty (and cute!).

Yes, she's from a hatchery. She and dozens of other chicks were all mixed up in tubs. Soooo... that's why I don't know Pea's breed.

Yes, I thought she was a mixed breed. I don't know, but maybe she's an official breed, but I'm almost positive that she's a mixed breed. [​IMG]

Why are you so set on her being a cross breed ? Cross brees wouldnt be that solid buff so shes either a pure hatchery Buff Rock, or a hatchery Buff Orp with yellow leggs as when I ordered Buff Orps from Privett, two of them have yellow leggs which would basicly just make them a Buff Rock according to hatchery standards as there isnt much difference in the body types of hatchery birds. And she would still have white leggs if she was a BO X Buff Rock becuase yellow leggs are recessive.

So she would be a hatchery quality Buff Rock. Not a cornish for sure, wrong tupe and comb for a cornish.​

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
  9. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Yes, I'm positive now that Peanut is a Buff Rock. Where I got her, there were six categories for chicks: Reds, Rocks, Leghorns, and some other things that I forgot. But anyways, yes, I'm sure that she's a Buff Rock now. Thanks for your help, everybody!

10. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Agree with Cowgirl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by