Can anyone identify the gender of these two? **UPDATE, MORE PICS!!**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenWisperer, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Well, i heard that BOxRIR chicks are sex-link for wingfeathers, and that told me that Cairo was a rooster. Then, the friend that i got my Cuckoo Morans eggs from said if they had a white spot on their head, they were a female, and ashi did.

But, Ashi (so-thought poullet) Is starting to do that roo-call for "ive found some food!" and has gotten lighter in color sense these pictures. 'she' is also starting to grow very long silkie tailfeathers.

Cairo, on the other hand, has no longer tailfeathers and is still peeping.

They were incubated at the same time, born only about 10-15 min. apart. They are about 4 1/2 months old.

Here they are....

[​IMG]

***NEW PICTURES***

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, was i right or wrong? If anyone needs more pictures just say the word!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Wow... honestly, I do not know. My first thought was rooo!!! But then you said they were 18 weeks old? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Both look like boys to me, sorry! [​IMG] Hope I'm wrong.

I think you got some bad information, ALL barred or cuckoo colored chicks have a head spot when they're chicks. The ones with smaller more defined spots and a darker color overall are usually female, the ones with large irregular spots and lighter color are usually males- it's not 100% thing though.

I'm pretty sure for feather sexing to work the mother must be slow feathering and father fast feathering. Slow or fast feathering characteristics are not breed specific, meaning you can have both fast and slow developers in the same breed. So unless the actual parents were confirmed to be the proper type it wouldn't work.

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I haven't had a try at one of these posts in awhile however from my still newb eye, I have to agree with the post before me. I think you have 2 roos there. My RSL pullets are about the same age as Cairo and Cairo has a way bigger, redder comb and his wattles are slightly bigger too.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Look like my pullets at 19 weeks. cross your fingers!

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looking at those saddle feathers, I'd say cockerels.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd like to see a better picture of the saddle area of both birds, but I think I see saddle feathers on the red bird so I think it's a boy. The marans is pretty light in color for a girl, so I would guess a boy also. Better pictures would make it easier to give a more educated guess.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm leaning towards pullets but not sure.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The red one is definitely a boy..no mistaking those saddle feathers. I can't see them on the other bird tho, so not sure on that one.

Jody

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I think you have 2 boys there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by