1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone identify these girls??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grand-hen-ma, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Ok, I am going to try and upload pics and add them here. Can anyone tell me what my new girls are? Breed and sex?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, you called them girls, so the sex, I presume, you already know. Aside from that, they do look like hens. Breed? Can't tell for sure from the pictures. From what I can see, maybe black sex-links?

3. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thanks. My grandson said he thought they were girls, but he wasn't sure. One of the girls has fluffy legs. One of them is solid black but when the sun hits her I can see a green tint and the other one is solid gray/silver.

Thanks again.

4. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    THe black one with the feathered feet could be a black copper maran

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2. That's about all I can tell from the pics. Your solid black may be an Australorp. The grey, I'm not sure.

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    The first pic looks like a BBS Orpington, second pic a Copper Marans, third Copper Marans, fourth looks like a Orpington or JG cockerel.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You've got a very nice Black Copper Marans, (black and brown one) and perhaps a blue Orpington, or a blue Marans (likely poor type, as it has no feathered shanks)

8. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt...

Is the bird in pic #2 the one you described as being black w/ a green sheen on her feathers? If so (and assuming she doesn't have feathered feet), I would guess Black Star (sexlink). If that's the case, she is definitely a girl and will probably be a fantastic layer! I have 2 that lay pretty pink eggs almost every day. [​IMG]

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Most black birds will have the green sheen..no indicator of breed. Blue could be Blue Rock..we have them and they look quite a bit like that and we all know there are blue Rocks in FL [​IMG] ..leg color is off yes I know Rocks have yellow legs but dark is the most common.What color is the bottom of her feet? [​IMG] other could be blue Orp since the 2 look very much alike. I also see Marans
    Here is a pic of one of our blue Rocks for you to compare..sorry I cut off her legs in the pic but they are dark
    [​IMG]

10. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Oh thank you so much everyone. I really do appreciate the help. The girls are a little skittish so it was very difficult to get them to hold still long enough for me to get a good picture. I was able to hold them, but not for long. I hope they lay soon because I'm anxious to see what color eggs they have.

Thanks again. All of you rock!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by