Can anyone identify this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gladyskravitz, Dec 31, 2013.

1. gladyskravitz

gladyskravitz New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    We got her as a chick and were told she was a Buff Orpington. She is now 13 weeks and looks a lot like a Rhode Island Red. We love her either way, but would love to know what she is. [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    13 weeks old? Has it crowed yet? Looks like a cockerel to me. I say that as the comb and wattles are very large for a 13 weeks old pullet. Looks like a mix breed.

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    A better, clearer picture would help... but your bird looks a little bit like a Production red (Rhode Island red cross) cockerel.

But more pictures would help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Looks more like a buckeye or production red to me. Is that picture at 13 weeks? If so, you have a boy!

5. gladyskravitz

gladyskravitz New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Here's a clearer pic. No crowing from this one, but should note we have a silkie rooster that does all the crowing. We got the birds in September and have raised them together since. Had been told all were hens. Now sounds like we have 2 roosters. Whomp whomp :(
    Thanks everyone for your input. Think there's any chance the 2 roos will continue to live peace, or is one going to have to go? This is just like "Sophie's Choice!". We love these birds. [​IMG]

6. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh yeah. That's a male. All those glossy hackle and saddle feathers are the giveaway.

It is possible two roosters will live in peace. But I would watch them carefully, since the Silkie seems to be the dominant one now. He may try to challenge that position.

7. gladyskravitz

gladyskravitz New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks for your help. We will keep an eye on the fellas to make sure all remains copacetic.

8. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

That looks like a cockerel.

9. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It all depends on your flock. I have had as many as 3 roos with 5 hens before and it all worked out fine. To my surprise my smallest roo was the dominate one and I didn't have anything more then the random puffing up or chest bumping. No hurting, pecking, or fighting. If you have an all relaxed flock it shouldn't be a problem, just keep an eye on them to make sure you don't have a trouble maker.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by