Can anyone identify this huge bird??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by redhen, Sep 13, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This is one of the stinkers that keep circling my house..Grrr! Is it a Turkey Vulture? I cant see a red head on it... His head looks to be all brown..maybe??
    He flew REAL low over our birds again the other day... and they all did this.. [​IMG]
    Sorry for the bad pic.. [​IMG] It was all we could get.

THis pic was taken across the road from my house..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's a turkey vulture.

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Looks like a turkey vulture to me!

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    that looks like a turkey vulture to me. I don't think they will kill your chickens. They only eat dead things.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree, turkey vulture.
    They are constantly circling on this and the neighboring farms. My chickens have learned to ignore them.
    I did see one circling a little too close (for my comfort) over Lil' Bit one day when she'd wandered off from the flock. He/she skidaddled when he saw me.
    DH says they won't bother live creatures unless they are extremely hungry. They don't go hungry around here because if nothing else, roadkill is always in abundance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Okay..BUt i thought they only ate dead things! He keeps trying to get my hens!...AND he did attack one last winter..a silkie mix... Thankfully she survived..(because we saw him and ran out of the house)...she had a wound on her chest and was bald where he must have been picking her feathers off... *shivers* So they will go after your birds folks...I saw it first hand. [​IMG]
    Are they illegal to kill? Like Hawks and Eagles are? Just asking! For just in case...i dont want to kill anything..I'm a big softie..

7. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    looks like a vulture to me too. I hear that they only eat dead things too but they do get AWEFUL close to my run (its covered) and my roos all make the ninja noise AAAAWAAAAAAAHHHH and then the begawks go off LOL [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They're migratory so I'd imagine it's illegal to kill them. I've never had one bother anything alive around here.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Be careful! If he's circling your hens, they are gonna land someday! They did here... [​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I must have a rogue one or something, that likes fresh meat...LOL....just my luck..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by