Can anyone identify this worm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Australorp Fan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Australorp Fan

Australorp Fan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Found this worm in one of my chickens poop this morning. I had been giving the girls food grade DE in their crumbles but it's been a couple of months since they've had it. Would DE take care of this worm or do I need to get a specific medication? Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's a round worm aka ascarid. Wazine will get rid of them- it is inexpensive and the dosage is on the back of the bottle. In order for DE to be effective, it needs to be given to them everyday.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  3. Australorp Fan

Sep 16, 2009
    Thanks for the fast reply. I read the instructions for Wazine and it had the following message: Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption. Do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens

Does this means I will have to throw out any eggs laid during the treatment period for 14 days but after the treatment is over the eggs are safe to eat?

Thanks

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Thats just gross! This is a good reminder to worm. I use DE too but it doesnt do the job like Wazine.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Yes it does :)

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I know that a lot of people think that DE works as a wormer but it does not. I use it as a feed through on my horses so it winds up in the poop where it acts like a desicant to fly eggs. I have been using it for years and one of my horses wound up with tape worm (vet said we did not have to worry about tape worm in AZ since it was so dry). Anyway, I do not count on it as a wormer IMO.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've been trying to advise others that DE is useless as a wormer...but you know how that goes. They have to learn the hard way just like I did years ago. Lessons learned.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Agreed [​IMG] When I talked to a different vet and mentioned using DE as a wormer, she looked at me like why would you do that? LOL Anyway, lesson learned!

9. Australorp Fan

Sep 16, 2009
  10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I think it would be a great preventative .
    But since you know you have them you want to do something thats proven to work. Like the Wazine.
    Also, your eggs will taste like garlic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by