1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone identify what breed these chickens are??? It would be greatly appreciated :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Minataur, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Minataur

Minataur New Egg

Dec 19, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    I am new to the world of chickens, I have a general idea however since my grandma used to raise chickens for eggs when I was a kid. Otherwise, most of my knowledge is just from memory...heh. My neighbor was moving away and had no place for her chickens and I had the extra room so I took them in. They are very docile and friendly, I have a one year old daughter and they let her pet them. I was surprised at how calm they are. Anyway, I'm in it for the long haul, I've good a good piece of land behind my house and I want to learn more about chickens! They gave me 4 hens and 1 rooster and I would like to know what breed they are so if anyone can help me out, that would be awesome! We have named them all, they sure have unique personalities! I am very excited to have them!
    [​IMG]
    Big Red
    [​IMG]
    Girtrude and Pepper
    [​IMG]
    Tulip
    [​IMG]
    Spice

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    production red
    buff orp and a barred rock
    SS
    welsummer

3. Minataur

Minataur New Egg

Dec 19, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Oh thank you so much! Are these common breeds? :O I'm only 22...I have a lot to learn about chickens. Hah!

4. Allieharmon

Allieharmon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    well, Pepper is a Plymouth Barred Rock and Tulip is a Speckled Sussex. I have a SS in my flock and she is a sweet, very curious girl. She's also a little greedy :) Her name is Zillah

5. Minataur

Minataur New Egg

Dec 19, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Cool! :D They are all pretty calm and get along very well. They love to dirt bathe, it was pretty neat watching them today. My daughter enjoys it. They will eat out of my hand too. They were very well taken care of and I plan on keeping that up! I can hold them and pet them and they won't peck. We are off to a good start! I know one lays green-blue eggs, but I'm not sure which one yet. We just got them settled in yesterday :)

6. kwinnypoo

kwinnypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Girtrude is a Buff Orptington, Pepper is a Barred Plytmouth Rock (both common breeds)

Tulip is a Speckled Sussex (another common)

Spice is not a Welsummer, she doesn't look anything like the Welsummer in my yard, in my friends yard, or any photos I've ever seen.

1 person likes this.
  7. kwinnypoo

kwinnypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    The last one is the one that lays blue/green eggs, and so she is an Easter Egger/Ameraucana

1 person likes this.
  8. Minataur

Minataur New Egg

Dec 19, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Thank you all! Hmmm that's very interesting. I'm excited for them to lay eggs! :) Do they each have certain times they lay eggs? Like the seasons?

9. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

The last one (Spice) looks like a silver grey dorking, not a welsummer or an EE.

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    1- Rhode Island Red
    2- Buff Orpington and Barred Plymouth Rock
    3- Speckled Sussex
    4- Silver Grey Dorking

All of these breeds lay brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by