Can anyone identify what these babies are?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RacillaTheHen, Jan 17, 2015.

1. RacillaTheHen

RacillaTheHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These kids came to the humane society with no known history. Any idea what they are?

2. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    Heinz 57's

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    1's a dominigue........

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Chicken... Yup.... definitely chicken. [​IMG]

Sorry.... I think it is a bit young to know breed on the second one since chipmunk ones can be any of several breeds.

The first one could be a dominique or a barred rock IMO.

5. RacillaTheHen

Mar 15, 2013
    It sure looks like one, doesn't it! But aren't Dominiques kind of rare? We usually don't see fancy babies in the shelter. They are adorable though, eating like nobody's business. they fight over mealies. Ruthless little ones. :)

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I don't think #1 is a Dominique as I can see distinct "teeth" in a row (edited) in the photo profile which indicate a single comb to come.

Dominques have a rose comb which will begin on chicks as a small inverted horseshoe with smooth outside ridges and indented middle...no teeth.

I think #1 is likely a Barred Rock or BR mix.

The other are chipmunks which could be a lot of things from game to bantams to a number of large fowl...and I can't really see the combs....small, tiny little bumps, a bit wider than the single comb may be pea comb...if they have green legs, may be Easter Eggers....a row of small teeth and beige legs could be Speckled Sussex....yellow legs could be Brown Leghorn (white ear lobe) or Welsummer (red earlobe)...But most likely those are a mixes and probably a mix of mix.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. RacillaTheHen

Mar 15, 2013
    Thank you everyone for input. I'm very much a beginner, breed recognition wise, so all of this helps. Looking up the breeds mentioned as we speak. Thanks again!

8. RacillaTheHen

Mar 15, 2013
    Funny:) Especially because they were booked in as pigeons:) So yeah, apparently the question of SPECIES was indeed brought to question.LOL.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL....oh good, I can finally say....M R Chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by