Can anyone Identify?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hjax81, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Hjax81

Hjax81 Chirping

Jan 14, 2019
    Glenville, PA
    Good Morning all!
    So my neighbor has a bunch of free range chickens and ducks. The ducks have a routine and come through our yard once in the morning and once in the evening and sometimes hang out during the day in our yard and creek as well. I'm not upset about this at all, I love ducks. But I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what breed these may be? The neighbors have no clue. And they have others of various breeds roaming around as well. I mean my neighbors thought they only had 2 roosters, when they actually had like 10, so they are pretty much clueless.
    Anyway, here's a few pics of some of the ducks I was curious about:
    DSC_0282.JPG DSC_0285.JPG DSC_0282.JPG DSC_0285.JPG DSC_0288.JPG DSC_0289.JPG

quackiemama and WVduckchick like this.
  2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Cool visitors!

Maybe magpie or ancona ducks....

3. Hjax81

Hjax81 Chirping

Jan 14, 2019
    Glenville, PA
    yeah they are somewhat friendly.. IF I have some food. lol. These guys were hatched right after we moved in, last August. A few months ago a random dog came through one night and attacked the flock. Two were injured and me and my husband grabbed them up and held them for a little and put them in to safety for the night. the neighbors could have cared less. The dog did kill one of the others, we found him a day later down the creek. My husband and I were out trying to get the dog to leave. Finally the owner came around. I was pretty upset. But after taking care of the other two, they are the first two to come up to us.
    Ducks are my Fave!

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Or possibly Swedish. Very pretty!

Are they full sized ducks? meaning not small ones, like Call duck size?
    (call ducks usually have very short, stubby bills, and those don't look like it, but pet quality ones are not always so short)

5. Hjax81

Hjax81 Chirping

Jan 14, 2019
    Glenville, PA
    They are full size. I was thinking blue swedes mixed with maybe the pekin they have.

21hens-incharge and WVduckchick like this.
  6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Their friendliness is actually very unusual, if the owners aren't hands-on with them. Ducks are naturally more stand-offish.

Yep, Swedes can come in a variety of patterns. I've had totally black ones, and one that is all white, except for a small black patch on his rump.

21hens-incharge and Hjax81 like this.
  7. Hjax81

Hjax81 Chirping

Jan 14, 2019
    Glenville, PA
    I think they like us because we give them food, so maybe they see us as a food source?
    Their chickens do the same. Their one rooster always follows me around.

8. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Probably so! :D
    Maybe they will give their eggs to you, instead of their owner. :lol:

Can you determine males from females? I see 2 for sure drake feathers, but can't really tell on them all.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Maybe you should just build a pen and adopt them ;)

Welcome to BYC

10. Hjax81

Hjax81 Chirping

Jan 14, 2019
    Glenville, PA
    My husband thinks he knows which ones are which. I can tell by the curled feathers but I haven't really bothered with it.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: