Can anyone in cook county il help? County has told me to get rid of my chickens

bobk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Melrose Park,IL
My wife and I are heartbroken. we live in unincorporated cook county il. I have 9 pullets 16 weeks old and really enjoy them. the inspector came knocking and said a neighbor complained about the chickens ( a lie as I have spoked to all my neighbors before getting them and since,no problems) when I asked what the nature of the complaint was so I could address it he said no specific just that I cannot have them. I showed him my printout of chapter 10 of the code(below) and he called today and said he talked to the deputy commisiioner and was told that section 8.7.7 overrides that (also pasted below) 8.7.7 is about pets!
He said I have 30 days to get rid of them and then can be fined 500 a day and have to go to court. they seem to be grasping at straaws as on his first call he quoted the no livestock rule and I told him the legal def of livestock does not include chickens.

anyway has anyone in my area been through this? any help you can give or point me to a good lawyer that has worked on this that can straighten this out.i would really appreciate any help or direction on this. we have decided to sell our house and get out of this shithole crook county and go to the country, but that wont happen soon
thank you

~8.7.7 PETS Animals that are customarily kept for personal use or enjoyment. Pets are limited to a total of three (3) adult animals and shall include but not be limited to domestic dogs, domestic cats, domestic tropical birds and rodents. For purposes of this Ordinance, an animal shall be considered an adult when it reaches six (6) months of age. This provision shall not apply to veterinary clinics, animal hospitals or kennels

10.8.c
~~(c) No person shall own, keep, harbor, or otherwise maintain within the County, any breeds of fowl that are or will be used in the pursuit of and staging of cockfighting on any premises.

10.8.l
~~(l) No person shall bring or cause to have brought into the County, sell, offer for sale, barter or display living baby chicks, ducklings or other fowl or rabbits which have been dyed, colored or otherwise treated so as to impart to them an artificial color, or give away as pets or sell, offer for sale, barter or give away at no cost or as novelties or prizes. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit legitimate commerce in poultry for agricultural or food purposes.

Try the Social forum , 'Where am I? Where are you!' section. Locate and post on the Illinois thread and perhaps someone there can help you. Looks like sheer BS to me. You should be covered under 10.8.1. Good luck at resolving this.

Whatever happened to your case? Were you able to keep chickens? We have a hearing this morning and cited for in excess of 3 pets per household - how do you fight that or answer it in court?
Please help ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom