Can anyone pick out the hens by different color/pattern?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aubby, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Aubby

Aubby Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone! I haven't even had chickens for a year yet, so I have a lot of questions. I understand the sex link genetics when it is obvious, but not when the colors are reversed. I have a Light Sussex Rooster. He won't breed my LS hens, only my RIR's. So when one of my LS hens goes broody, I stick the RIR eggs under her.

My first hen hatched out 5 lil chicks. (1st Picture) 4 of them are white with brown throughout, and 1 is white with black tail and wing tips. I don't know if any of them are going to have colored hackle feathers yet. Sooooo, my question is: Anybody out there know if you can tell if they are hens or roosters at this point? Anybody hatched out the same cross before?

Here is "Nemo", the same cross, only hatched from an incubator that went crazy for 2 days. His feathers are a lil rough, hence the name. Need to know if I need to change the name to "Dora". LOL Any way, all coloring on him/her is black. None of my LS hens or rooster have black other than wing tips, tail, and hackles.

Would appreciate any help!

[​IMG]

Thought I would post this pic also. My birthday today and look at my present![​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sorry, but there is no sexlinking with those chicks. There is no way to tell male from female at this point. You're just going to have to wait and see.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. Aubby

Aubby Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I was afraid of that. Anybody care to guess why my rooster likes the Rhode Island Reds but not his own breed, the light Sussex?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe he just likes redheads. But kidding aside, if you kept your RIR hens away from him and just had your light Sussex girls with him - he might be persuaded to breed them
    it's worth a try.

6. Aubby

Aubby Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Lol! Cute! But, I never thought of that. I call him Mr. P. P for Prejudice. I think I will try thst. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by