Can anyone please help me identify this Bantam Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Robert Jordan, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Lotus, CA
    I recently got this chick from the local feed store because it ran up and jumped on my hand when I started calling "chick, chick, chick!" Anywho, I grabbed two Bantams and one I know is a Silver Sebright but this one I cant seem to identify. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Robert Jordan

Feb 5, 2014
    Lotus, CA
    Nobody? :(

3. chickenboy100

chickenboy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Southwest PA
    I'm sorry, but there is very little way to tell at this age, you'll have to wait a few months, sorry again.

4. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    I am not an expert with breeds, but I'm sure it will be easier to tell in a few weeks when the chick is older. Right now, it is mostly fluff, so it is harder to tell the colouring of the adult feathers [​IMG]

In the meantime, a helpful site is http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html. You can look through the list of chicken breeds and pictures of chicks for identification if you wish. Could it be a Japanese?

5. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Does your local feed store hatch their own or order from a hatchery? It might help to know what hatchery they order from in order to narrow down the breed. [​IMG]

6. Robert Jordan

Feb 5, 2014
    Lotus, CA
    The do order from a hatchery however getting that info is easier said than done. I will call them in the morning and try to find out what I can.

Thank you for the link. I will peruse it and check them out.

Maybe a Japanese. I was just curious if the little feller had a marking ie its head spot that may give a clue.

7. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Our local TSC had no problem letting us know where they order from. There's a local mom/pop type place here also and I believe they said last year they breed their own.

I really think it should be simple to narrow down to a least just a couple of breeds, I just don't have enough experience to be much help!

8. Robert Jordan

Feb 5, 2014
    Lotus, CA
    Ok, so I found out that our local feed store gets their chicks from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX. I sent them an email with pictures after talking to a gal on the phone by the name of Christina. Now it's just time to wait until I get an email back from them.

9. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Hmmm...it looks to me like the ideal 236, which is a white egg layer but not bantam...I almost said it yesterday but figured it would be best to wait until you knew what hatchery. If its for sure a bantam than its not the 236....

10. Robert Jordan

Feb 5, 2014
    Lotus, CA
    I would say you could be on to something with the ideal 236 however this chick has a pea or rose comb and the head appears very bantam.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by