Can anyone please help me sex these lovely chicks please :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pammo86, Jan 13, 2014.

1. pammo86

pammo86 New Egg

Jan 13, 2014
    Hi all, I'm new to Backyard chickens and may i say what a great site this is :)

We got 4 new chicks and we need to find out if they are hens or roosters as we can not keep roosters due to the local law. But I have no ideal. I have read many post and articals and still can not tell one hundred percent and dont want to get rid of hens by accident.

The chicks are around 6weeks now. and I believe they are sussex cross chickens.

I have two white chicks with very red combs and wattles and quite large and two other chicks multi colour but the combs are small and yellow/beige colour. All 4 have a spur starting to grow. Feather wise I didnt know to check when they were chicks so Im not sure what they have.

The two white ones fight a lot the last week and are looking and acting more and more like roosters but Im not sure as the tails are differents.

Can anyone please help me out.... I have attached photos of three of the chicks will post the 4th one later as I cant find it right now but the last one is black with white and has the same head and comb as beauty queen.

Thank you in very one in advance for the help :)

Pam

Shadow Fax
    [​IMG]
    Joy
    [​IMG]
    Beauty Queen
    [​IMG]

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Fax and Joy are both roosters for sure.
    Beauty I'm going to say pullet.

Sorry you can't keep them.

3. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    x2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Shadowfax and Joy are definitely roosters. I'm not sure on Beauty, but I'm guessing pullet.

5. Sorry, but Shadow Fax, and Joy seem to be roosters, Beauty Queen currently looks like a pullet to me. And [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Like everyone else said, I think Shadowfax and Joy are certainly roosters. Beauty Queen looks like a pullet, for now.

7. pammo86

pammo86 New Egg

Jan 13, 2014
    Thank you all for your help.

Yeah It sucks that I cant keep the roosters but my neighbours are very close so I would annoy them alot as well so need to keep the peace....

These bird have been wonderful, they climb all over us and sit on us. They all have very different personality so Its going to be hard to get rid of them.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    First two are cockerels for sure, and I am fairly certain that # 3 is also a cockerel.

10. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    If you want to keep them, look up the thread Sound of silence 6 am [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by