Can anyone please help with sex

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Samkeidenkeiran, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Samkeidenkeiran

Samkeidenkeiran Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    Hi there im new to the chicken buisness and was wondering if anyone could tell the sex of my silkie x frizzle x araucana its five and a half weeks old and it feathered within first week with tail and wings if that makes a difference...thank you [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    G[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

With that red on the wings, it's a cockerel.

3. Samkeidenkeiran

Aug 18, 2016
    Is it not common for the hens to have the red on the wings ? Sorry trying to learn as much as i can about sexing

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hens can have red... this bird has RED. See how the patches contrast, a lighter orange with patches of darker red? That's cockerel-specific. Females would have uniform color. Plus, overall tail carriage and body shape, redness in the comb already, are supporting factors.

1 person likes this.
  5. Samkeidenkeiran

Aug 18, 2016
    Oh yes i see what you are saying thank you there was another chick but unfortunatly she slipped through a small gap in the fence and got attacked by the neighbours dog [​IMG][​IMG] but she had quite pla├Čn colouring next to him now that i see it i canr believe i never clicked haha thank yoy for your help

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree that's a cockerel.

Momma has basically the same color, but see how hers is smoother and more even colored? He's brighter, with patches of red color. In chickens, that's a guy thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by