1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone please tell me if this little chick is a hen or a roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lydia2013, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Lydia2013

Lydia2013 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Hi everyone, I started a thread similar to this yesterday but every time I click on it, it says it doesn't exist anymore???
    So anyway this is my now 9 day old Light Sussex Cross chick, I also have pictures of its younger sibling which is only 2 days old :) So I'm wanting to know what gender the bigger one is. Pictures are not great sorry. This was my first time using an incubator so I'm pretty new to all this :) These were the first 2 to hatch and the 3rd one hatched yesterday however the yolk was not fully absorbed so I've been told to leave the 3rd chick in the incubator until the bit at its bottom dries up and falls off, any advice would also be appreciated :) The mother of these chicks are Pure bred light Sussex and the father is pictured below, I think he's a Columbian Wyandotte cross???

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I responded to your other post, and now can't find it either [​IMG]

your little chick is too young to tell gender. No sex linkage from the cross you have, so that doesn't help either. You should have an idea around 6 weeks old. Rooster signs are bolder behavior, upright stance, thicker legs, redder/larger comb and some colors, although I don't see that happening in your case as both males and females of the parent breeds are colored the same. Maybe post pics again around 6 weeks.

3. Lydia2013

Oct 14, 2013
    Thank you for your advice :) Is it impossible to tell the gender at this age in all breeds or just some? :)

4. ortluk

ortluk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    There are some breeds which are either sex linked or auto sexing, so you can tell on day 1 but the cross you have isn't one of those. for example black sex links are solit black with the roos having a white spot on their head, or rhodebars have different chick down for each gender.

5. Lydia2013

Oct 14, 2013
    oh ok, thanks for your advice :)

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. FrozenFeathers

FrozenFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Dryden, MI
    Sure is cute, but yes you'll have to wait a while for the sex :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by