Can anyone post pics of an Americauna/Barred Rock cross?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hmlongino, Mar 12, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I have eggs in the incubator from my Americauna roo and my BR hen. I would love to see pictures of what I might expect!

2. shandiane78

shandiane78 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    That will depend on the color of your Ameraucana. Is he a true Ameraucana, or an Easter Egger roo (from a hatchery)? Do you have a pic of him? Depending on his color, it's possible for the chicks to be sex linked.

This pullet is from a Blue Wheaton Ameraucana over Barred Rock hen:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
  4. shandiane78

shandiane78 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Beautiful roo! I do believe your chicks will be sex linked - Barred cockerels and solid dark pullets. At hatch, look to see if some of them have a white spot on the head. Those would be your cockerels.

Now, I know this is how it SHOULD work, but it did not work out quite that way for me. My girl had a small white spot on the head, plus faint muddy barring as a chick. All signs pointed to boy. But she turned out a solid blue pullet. She was the only one of that combo that hatched, so unfortunately I didn't have any cockerels to compare. Maybe the cockerels would have had a larger white spot and could have been sexed at hatch much like a barred rock.

This was her as a chick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the daddy:

[​IMG]

5. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Awesome, thanks!! They are due to hatch on 3/22, and I'll post pics then!

[​IMG]

6. Amerauchick17

Amerauchick17 Songster

Dec 21, 2013
    SE Michigan
    That would be a great combo! I love both breeds :)

7. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Howdy! I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I would share. I have a couple that are just plain gorgeous. And they lay blue, not green or olive eggs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Howdy neighbor [​IMG]

What pretty birds! There's a thread here somewhere about a breeding project for cuckoo Ameraucana, you might check that out. Love the beards on barred birds [​IMG]

9. texaspolloloco

texaspolloloco In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Georgetown TX

10. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Hey neighbor too! Oh I will definitely need to check that out. And I'm hoping to find some nice birds at the Fall poultry swap this October. If you are thinking of going, I'm sharing a booth with my friend who breeds frizzles. I'm hoping to find some quality Americaunas. I love my EEs, but would like some pure stock to start a new project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: