Can anyone recommend a good Cochin Breeder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm looking for someone who raises quality White Bantam Cochins, who is willing to sell hatching eggs. Can anyone recommend someone, and tell me of your experiences with this person?

2. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmm, I know Mel (Flufnstuff) has mottled, but I dont know if she has white yet. You should check out her site.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    behrable knows a lady in WA that he says has fantastic bantam cochins. You might check with him. I know he also has them, but not sure where he is with his breeding program.

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have a freind that has some very nice ones but she doesnt have the internet.. I can call her today and see what she has.. if you can give me your contact info where she can call you directly that would even be better.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I believe I've spoken to that lady via email before.

I've emailed most of the show breeders, but the usual response is that they dont sell eggs. I figured there may be someone here who has a quality flock, but may not necessarily show.

I would like to raise some white bantam cochins to show along with my Silkies, however I'm not looking to spend $100 plus for started show birds. I'd like to hatch some from eggs, as its usually the cheapest way to get started.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  6. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Since you really arent supposed to link to outside Poultry sites try googling Cochins International
    and it will give you a list of breeders in the Cochin Club. There are some excellent breeders there.
    Jamie Matts has awesome birds, could ship you a breeder pair, and old be one of the nicest people on earth. He is hatching Mottles for my children's poultry club for a breed project. He has been more than accomodating and gone above and beyond to help with any questions, even offered to show my DH how to AI them since fertility is always something you need to keep an eye to.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I've been to Cochins International, and emailed nearly every breeder listed there, including Jamie. I've been unable to find eggs thus far, which is why I've posted here. Thanks for the suggestion though!

And I do agree, Jamie is a great guy! He judged the Fort Worth Stock Show this year.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:I also found a breeder here in AZ through Cochins International. Their website is not working but I emailed anyway and lucked out that they are still breeding them.

I dont know if she sells hatching eggs or not though. She does sell chicks and adolescents when she has enough hatch.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    I would call him. I think it just comes down to how much of a hurry you are in. Adults will cost you $50/pr +shipping and the eggs will run $25 for 6 with some breeders..or just up there, ya know? On here Lil Peeps and Pumpkinpup have nice ones..I think hers came from Tom Roebuck?
    Buzzardchick has nice ones too. I have a trio of Jamies, and a really nice pr. So I have too many, wish I could send them thru the computer to you.
    They have hatched chicks on their own, but fertility hasnt been there lately and it isnt on my top ten right now. They are pets, and my kids show birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by