Can anyone recommend a good Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by NJfarmer, Jul 31, 2007.

1. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    I plan on building a new chicken coop and I just wanted to know which hatchery would be the best to order day old chicks from and which hatcheries I should stay away from. I already checked Mcmurry's website and I wanted to know if there were any other good hatcheries.

Thanks a ton

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I had a good experience from a customer service standpoint with mypetchicken, but ive never ordered from them and can't comment on that.

Alternatly, my chickens came from privett, their customer service was not as good as mypetchicken when I called them.
    but I belive privett is a long way away from you anyway.

3. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    Check each for minimums. McMurray's min is 25 as with a bunch of others. My petchickens min is 3 and here in Ohio, i found a great hatchery called Mt. Healthy. The guarantee the health of their chicks. Their min is only 15. I drove down and got my chicks 93 weeks old today). Now you may also want to check on availability at this time of year and what breed you want.

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Mine are from My pet chicken, I highly recommend them. You can order as few as three, and there was a slight mix up with my order (they sent 6 straight run instead of 3 pullets of one breed) and they were more than happy to make it right and make me happy. The chicks are healthy and active and there were no casualties. Customer service is superb.

5. NJfarmer

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    my pet chicken seems like a good place to buy chickens. It has a 3 chick minimum that is better then Mcmurrays 25 chick mininum I wouldn't be allowed to have that many. Does anyone know where my pet chicken is located? If I wanted to contact them there adress is in NJ but the site said they dont have a store there.

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hi NJFarmer - I'm in NJ also, Ocean County. Mypetchicken is located in No. Jersey I think towards Newark area. I got my pullets from them. Next time, I'm thinking the chicks thing. Warning: if you order pullets their beaks are trimmed, the owner of Mypetchicken is working on getting the option of no beak trimming - I'm hoping so because she does a great job with her company.. Good luck.

7. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Hi NJFarmer!
    I live in Jackson and get my chickens from McMurrays. I've recieved over 80 chicks from them and only ever had 2 die (both at 3 days old from different orders). I currently have some 2 week old Barred Rock females that I'd like to sell. I also have some older White Rocks. Let me know if you're interested. I'd be willing to sell up to 15 of the chicks and 9 of the adults.

8. NJfarmer

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Quote:How long did it take to get your chickens?

P.S I live in Berlin Boro, Camden County

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I also like Meyer hatchery. I ordered 25 assorted pullets from them and got 26 chicks. 3 are roosters, and 1 died at 2 days old, but the rest are great! Plump and healthy and they all look great. My Speckled Sussex looked a little plain, but they've got some nice speckles on em now! Their customer service is AWESOME. Totally awesome. I would order from them again in a heartbeat.

10. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I guess it depends on location, but My pet chicken ships on Mondays, and I got my chicks the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by