Can anyone recommend a good store bought coop?

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
I need to get a coop for my 4 chicks (two Silkies and a Polish) that are in the brooder now. I am not handy IN THE LEAST so building a coop is truly not an option for me. This means I have to buy a prefab coop and run. My first choice would be the Eglu Go or Cube but they're both out of my budget and I feel like the runs they have may not be big enough. All the other coops and runs I look at online have reviews saying they're much smaller than advertised and/ or made with poor quality materials. Surely there's a good store bought coop out there. Can y'all help me find it? Can anyone recommend a specific brand and model of coop + run that I can order online or buy at a store and that will be big enough for my four chickens (may go up to six at some point) and that's well made? All suggestions welcome

From what i read and have seen online, good quality prefab coops are not so common. Have you considered a prefab shed? They could house many more chickens that you have, and give you room for storage of all your chicken stuff (and a bit of gardening things also). They are for sure cheaper, better quality and flexible in terms of how you lay it out.

All the best
CT

PS - maybe check out "shed coops" in the search box and see if the idea inspires you.

Another option is to look in the coops section at the top of this page and select one you like. Most have plans. The find a handyman to build it for you. Ask at your local hardware store for recommendations for a handyman. That’s usually a good source. It probably won’t cost you any more than a prefab coop and can be a lot better quality.

You might want to read this thread before you buy a prefab coop. Notice the title of the thread. There are a few that are sort of decent but they are pretty rare.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/852529/money-poorly-spent

Interestingly enough, the suggestion of hiring someone to make a coop was raised a month or so ago. A member, who is also a carpenter suggested that could be more expensive to go that route. Everywhere is different, as are the skills and costs of carpenters so there's no harm in getting a quote for sure (maybe the member was an artisan and hence the higher costs).

CT

Good point, CT. It’s also possible someone selected a coop with all kinds of gingerbread. Some are going to be a lot more expensive to build than others. But getting a quote is a really good idea.

Check out Craigs list. There are 3 or 4 up now in Memphis and one guy that builds them. About 300 or so.

Do you have a technical high school or trade school near by? Usually if you supply the materials the schools are happy to let the kids learn by building your project.

Dollar for Dollar you are not going to get a 'good' coop in kit form vs the alternatives like having one build or converting something else into a coop...

IMO it's generally penny wise but dollar silly to invest $400 in one of the commercially available coop kits vs spending $800 to build your own coop... Yeah, it's double the money initially but you will almost certainly spend that money in short making the $400 kit functional and still generally have an inferior product...

If you don't have the skills to build it, may I suggest some social networking, seems like there is always someone willing to get together and work for free beer and free food on the weekend...

If you can't start with a good sturdy real coop, might as well just give up now.

I scoured a lot of net, and home stores, and saw nothing much short of balsa wood, and they were all rated over what the coop would actually hold comfortably.
Plus, I wouldn't give them 6 months outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom