Can anyone recommend an accurate thermometer / hygrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CardinalRidge, Feb 4, 2012.

1. CardinalRidge

CardinalRidge Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Richfield, NC
    I am having a terrible time trying to regulate the temperature in my LG incubator. I have ordered a new Genesis Hovabator 1588 but it won't be here for another two days. I have 28 eggs in the LG and was hoping to get the Genesis up and running for a few days and transfer the eggs. I hope that will solve my problem, but for right now, I have three thermometers in the LG and every one says a different thing. Two of them are off by almost 4 degrees. I just don't know what to do. This is the 2nd day of incubation.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get the Brinsea Spot check. EXTREMELY accurate. I've had better hatches in my Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX every since I started using it.

3. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Are you using the LG's thermometers? They suck big time... I went to Fleet Farm and got one that is temp and humidity. I bought two of them and checked them with his friends thermostat checker ( he owns his own heating and air conditioning company). They are very accurate. The LG's were off by at least 5-6 degrees. It depended on where you put them. I also put heavy books on each side of my LG's for the first 15 days as they don't seal very good. That its where the cold spots can from. I am on a very limited budget and cant afford the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by