1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone recommend any good resources for info on horse training?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cara, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have a 4 yr old that I sent to trainers for 60 days, and although it is possible to put a saddle on him and get on (evetually) I would not describe him as rideable. As a result I have to sell him as I cannot handle him, and he is too small for my husband to ride. I think whoever he went to he would still not have been great, as he pretty much ran free in an 800 acre pasture until he was 3.5. However the trainers claimed to practice 'natural horsemanship' and seeing their techniques and the results it's not something i'd pay someone to do to an animal of mine again. He wants nothing to do with people, and is always unwilling and uncooperative.

I'm buying a yearling filly from the ranch; the fillies are all sent to the sale but this one stole my heart. She is very calm, gentle and friendly despite never having been handled until two days ago. Maybe i'm too sensitive, but I just don't like seeing the way the ranch horses here are 'broken'. I never saw horses handled like it growing up, and it just doesn't sit right with me no matter what reasons are given for it. I've trained dogs but never horses, and obviously horses have more capacity to cause injury if they become dominant, but i've never trained a SAR dog through fear and intimidation. They want to work for me because they want to please me, not because they are afraid not to, and I want the same from her if possible. I don't want the filly's good qualities to be scared or bullied out of her through the 'old-fashioned method'.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way I can be sure that she is being handled in a manner that i'd agree with, and trained within our budget, is if I do it myself. The problem is i've never started a horse myself. Can you recommend any good resources i.e. books, dvds, websites...basically anything I can learn from at home?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Personally, I think John Lyons is the best. I love his techniques and believe in him as a person as he has always shown the utmost respect for people and animals.

I've used his advice with my own horses and am very pleased with the trust my horses show me while training and the fact that they understand what I'm trying to teach them. One of my mares was abused before I got her and didn't trust anyone. Using John Lyon's ideas helped me totally gain her trust and she now trusts other people who come over.

You can google him and find his website which will give you lots of great info.

3. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thanks! I found this book on Amazon - Lyons' Bringing Up Baby: 20 Progressive Ground-Work Lessons to Develop Your Young Horse into a Reliable, Accepting Partner - and it looks like it might be just what I need.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That's great! Good luck, I don't believe you can go wrong with anything John puts out.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I agree, I don't think you can go wrong with John Lyons.

I used a trainer that was "Josh" certified and she was wonderful. If you do not feel you can do the training yourself at some point look for a certified trainer.

6. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I wish he would have clinics nearer to us. The closest is Arizona, which is at least 10 hours away.

We don't have many trainers to choose between around here which is a real pain. I don't like the idea of sending a horse away again, where I can't see what is being done and how. Brute strength and violence wouldn't work well for all 5'1 of me anyway!

Which particular books have you used?

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Have you thought of restarting the older horse using Natural horsemanship methods? Just curious? I use a mix of methods, but like Parelli. As it sounds like you have discovered any training done without the owner involved can be difficult to continue once the horse is at home.

Ask any horseperson and you will get a hundred different answers on how to work with a horse, but commitment to on-going training is the key.

I guess my really question (which has nothing to do with your original question..sorry) is why give up on the horse that you have already gotten started? He might be a good place to hone your teaching skills.

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    John Lyons has been reccommended many times to me also. As far as training is concerned--you really should be present when the horse is being trained also. That is what We will be doing this spring.

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have only used bringing up baby. That's as far as I get, too much time for me to spend as I have all these chickens to work with. Gotta break 'em to lay in those nest boxes ya know and stay within the boundaries of the fence....... some of them can be pretty unruly.[​IMG]

You might restart your other horse with the BUB book. If I remember correctly, there is a series that you can buy or get at the library to follow.

I bet there is a certified trainer closer to you, check the John Lyons website, don't just go to a clinic. You will also find that the JL certified trainers want you to be a part of the training.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I can recommend a really good book....The Man Who Listens to Horses by Monty Roberts. It changed my whole idea about horse trainging and gave me more insight in to what I would look for in a trainer and their methods. I agree with the others, though, about working more closely with your horse during the training and continuing the training sessions at home. It's the same as with a dog, you can send him to obedience school but you still aren't the master until he learns from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by