Can anyone review this automatic coop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shortstaque, Dec 13, 2010.

1. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Looked at a few automatic doors and this one fits the budget. I also like that the moving parts are not exposed like some others. It looks nice to boot. My one concern is that the door appears to open an close rather quickly. I wouldn't want one of the girls to get guillotined.

If you have this opener, could you please let me know if you have had any issues with it. Thanks!
    http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    When I look at the flap version I wonder what's to stop a raccoon from opening it?

3. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    I can't comment on the doors you are looking at but I decided to go with the pullet shut door because it was not a guillotine type door. I have the worst luck and I just had images that I would find one of my little girls who did not make it through the door in time. [​IMG] After long diliberations I got the pullet shut door. They are a little pricy but I can say I love this door because it is solid, slow to close and reliable. It even comes back open for a few minutes in case any chickens got caught outside. Good luck

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=414872

4. shortstaque

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:I agree, I didn't like that version. I would go with the sliding version.

5. shortstaque

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:I had read about others who experience trouble with the Pullet-door in very cold weather. In North Carolina it is perhaps not an issue, but here in PA it can get quite cold for long periods of time, so it is a concern for me.

6. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    [​IMG] We looked at that one. Didn't think it was too secure when shut. And we already had the materials for the door and frame. Didn't need all the rest, just the motor. Which is one of the reasons we went with the add a motor. It has a good reputation and was super easy to install. Plus we bought it from Discount Automation and I trusted them (Paypal ). See it here. http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20

We considered all the pluses and minuses and went with just the motor,. Had it since the spring and never once had trouble with it. [​IMG]

Hope that helps.

E/

7. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    As you speak we have gotten a cold spell here and i have notice the door has not openned as wide as it normally does. So I will continue to watch to make sure my ladies are safe and sound. I had not read anything about the cold prior to deciding on that one. Hopefully we will have the normal south weather we should. [​IMG]

Quote:I had read about others who experience trouble with the Pullet-door in very cold weather. In North Carolina it is perhaps not an issue, but here in PA it can get quite cold for long periods of time, so it is a concern for me.

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    I had trouble with mine when it got below 10 degrees. The company really stands behind this door, they redesigned the circuit board this winter and sent me a new board. I only had night down to about 5 degrees since swapping the circuit board, but it worked fine, which is an improvement. They did say someone further north did still have problems at 20 below. Still, the redesign does help some with the cold weather problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by