Can anyone sell me TWO pinless peepers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dusky, Jul 23, 2011.

1. dusky

dusky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well.. I don't think my hen will be any less aggressive to my younger hens, so I think I'm going to buy some pinless peepers to try out.. [​IMG] The alternative is my dad getting rid of her to one of his friends, who slaughters their chickens.. I know a chicken's a chicken, but she's more of a pet then just another livestock animal. My younger hens are nearly 8 months old now and she'll still grab the back of their necks and full on kick them while they're shrieking to be let go. Ugh!

OK SO. I found a place online that will sell individual peepers (I only need two in case I lose or somehow break one), but shipping is $15??? I know that's the priority rate for a LARGE box. I know two pinless peepers can't be more than $1.85 first class.. does anyone have extras and can sell me two? Please let me know. Thank you so much!!

What are people's experience with them? Will the mean hen eventually not be mean when I take them off? It seems cruel to obstruct a chicken's vision with something like that..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pinless peepers will work. Have you tried isolating her from the rest of the flock for a period of time-- weeks not hours-- so that her status is lowered in the pecking order?

3. dusky

dusky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I haven't tried that yet, though since I live in the city it's kind of hard really isolating her since the chickens have free roam of my whole yard :\\ I might try to find someone to temporarily take care of her maybe..

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Use bits, work great on hens, peeper are more for rooster pheasant . You could even make some , i would be glad to sent you some. They just keep the bird from closing the beaks all the way. so can't pinch the skin , or hold a feather, but still eat find. They still can see just fine ,not like peepers were they can see forward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by