1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone sex chicks by egg shape??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GhostRider65, Apr 21, 2011.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    My neighbor Has had chickens, ducks, turkey's geese, you name it forever, she hatches tons of babies every year, and she told me you can sex your chicks by the shape of the egg?
    She swears that round eggs are female and pointed eggs are male? anyone have any insight on this?
    Wouldn't the hatcheries use this then to not hatch so many unwanted Roo's?
    If no ones heard of this before anyone want to do an experiment? with a hatch this spring? I would if I had an incubator and laying hens but my babies are only 1 month old today. Kim

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The hens can tell they just won't tell us. Darn hens [​IMG]

3. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    The shape of the egg is determined by the hen who layed it. Hens lay the same shape most of the time. Be shure to tell me if you find a hen that lays all girls.

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I'm guessing that you could guess the sex of the chick going by the shape of the egg ang get somewhere around 50% correct.

1 person likes this.
  5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I wish!!

6. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I've heard of pendulum sexing... Don't know how though. It's at the egg stage

8. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I can test this out on the brand new chick I just hatched today...the only egg out of 18 to hatch and so far survive and it was a pointy egg - infact, it was one of the eggs I was very sure would not be one of the hatchers - go figure.

9. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:What did it turn out to be?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Old wives (or farmers') tale. If it was true, then, case in point: my late BR hen, Lexie, would lay completely oval eggs so you could rarely tell which end had the air cell. By that rule, she should have produced all pullets, but in fact, produced about 90% male chicks. Myth busted. It's just not true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by