Can anyone sex these EEers yet? (Pic intensive) UPDATED WITH NEW PIC

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggcellent, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Here is the updated photo. I added some Blue Jersey Giants to the brooder so kind of ignore them [​IMG]

I put a letter on the pic about which sex I think they are. Some are kind of in the middle, but like I said I am a layman.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got these chicks from miss_jayne here on BYC. An awesome lady with a ton of info to give (not to mention the yummy cookies). If you live anywhere near her you should definitely visit her at dollhouse farms. She tried to pick mostly hens for me but it was difficult with the chicks being younger than they are now. I am sure my kids getting set on certain chicks didn't help my chances any either.

Anyway, I am fairly certain I have at least one roo from my very layman's eye (The biggest of the three tan ones). Can anyone spot future hens or roos?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

They're still awfully young and EEs are generally hard to sex anyway because of that silly comb and no wattles but I see one reddish tan who looks like he's got a pretty prominent, little darker comb. That's it so far. One of the lighter/whitish babies is iffy.

3. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Thanks farmerlor,

I agree that the reddish-tan one with the darker comb looks to my untrained eye to be a roo. "He" is bigger than all the other chicks and none of the others have a comb as dark or as large as "his". Maybe I will get lucky and he will be the only roo.

With my luck I will end up with 6 roos and a hen [​IMG]

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    White ones are commonly roos too

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. farmerlor

I have several white EE hens who would beg to differ.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    They are too young for me say anything.

7. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Thanks for all the input folks. Does anyone have an idea about how old they are? I forgot to ask miss_jayne.

Should I wait a few weeks then post new pics or is there something I should look for to know they are ready to be sexed?

8. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    i agree they are a little to young to tell yet, but they sure are cute [​IMG]

9. farmerlor

Another week or two will definitely tell the tale. I've gotten pretty good at sexing those EE babies. 'Course the RIR and Buffs I breed are MUCH easier and I can usually sex them earlier.

10. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Take a few more pics in a week or so. It's still early. The birds looks to be about four weeks give or take.

Welcome to the forum.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by