Can anyone tell me background on my mutt chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marxmail, Feb 27, 2012.

1. marxmail

marxmail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Sparks, Maryland
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]Hi All,

First time chicken owner here - and I am hooked! I have three mutt chicks and was looking for some background. I know its way to early for sexing but any breeds information would be wonderful.

Louise - Light color chick
    Thelma - black chick - she was the smallest but now has grown larger than the rest and starting to get some feathers on her legs.
    Gertrude - looked liked a chipmonk when she was hatched... Best personality of them all!

Any input is appreciated.[​IMG]

Donna
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its also to early to even guess whats in them and since they are mutts there is no way to truly know what they have in them. if you know the possable parents it would also help to ,make a guess

3. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
  4. marxmail

Jan 29, 2012
    Sparks, Maryland
    Thanks for taking the time to share the site... I appreciate it!

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I don't see easter egger. I see a duckwing chick that could be any of a number of breeds - EE would VERY LIKELY have fluffy feathers on the face, green/grey legs, and a pea comb (yours is straight). Either way, watch out for dark brick red color coming in on the shoulder. This would indicate a male chick.

If you have a barred bird the wing feathers should come in barred.

6. asif

asif Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Thx for shareing with us ,

7. marxmail

Jan 29, 2012
    Sparks, Maryland
    Thanks... being new now I have to research duckwing! Have a great day.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, this is a toughie, since most mutts don't show their 'true colors' until they are fully feathered out. The only guesses that I can make that are worth 2 cents are about the buff colored chick, and the black one.

The buff may be an Orpington cross, or a second generation Red SexLink. Both birds are super common, and thus very likely involved in the cross.
    The black chick is most likely a Silkie cross. WIthout getting super exotic, that's pretty much the only commonly available bird that has black skin. It's a dominant gene, and almost always shows up in the babies when a cross happens.

And while Easter Eggers are very common in the backyard flock, there are MANY breeds of chickens that start out with the chipmunk look. Without taking the time to research, I can think of 12 off the top of my head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by