1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CAN ANYONE TELL ME?/BANTAM RIR+COCHINS FROM MCMURRAY?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by tiki244, Jan 12, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    IF anyone knows anything about the personality of the bantam RIRs at McMurray and/or the Quality and personality of the bantam Cochins at McMurray I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    bmping this up so ya canget a reply. wish i could help but i realy dont have a clue.

3. JDH

JDH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2007
    I have a bantam birchen cochin named Oreo. She's a delightful sweet bird. My favorite out of all of mine.

4. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have two cochin bantams from them and the hen is my favourite bird! She is the cutest, sweetest little lady! My kids adore her too, she is so tame and gentle even the kids can hand feed her. Any of our other birds almost take your hand off and the kids come away with tears, but Calypso is a darling. Frodo is also really sweet and has never lifted a spur to us, they aren't show birds but they are lovely otherwise!

5. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    I had several cochins from McMurray. They were all beautiful birds. The Roostyers however were not very friendly. The hens were great sweet as can be, great moms and very mellow. Good Luck.

Jen

6. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I got 25 cochins in Nov from McMurray - straight run - they are great - white, buff, black and two I am not sure what they are.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you want barnyard quality they are the way to go. If you want to show in the future then contact a breeder and save yourself 5 years worth of work and frustration.

8. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I have bantam and standard cochins from McMurray. The standard cochins roosters are very friendly. Some of the bantam roosters from the two years ago were not friendly. However since they had to spend the winter with the larger chickens they don't attack us anymore. The bantam hens are very friendly and sweet. I only had one bantam cochin that did not have feathers on all her feet. She didn't have them on her middle toe. I order more bantams last year and they didn't do so well in shipping. I lost over half of them. They did send more again and those did fine.

9. afeatherfan

afeatherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    wv
    I have ordered about everyhing except peacock's from mcmurry and everything I ever got was excellant. Ya see dog's got my chicken's ... I had to reorder.. Then it was coyote's an fox's got most of them .. I had to reorder.. So then I got me a great pyreneese and he stay's with my chicken's and I have yet to loose one other that just normal ... And he dosan't eat egg's.. I have also just ordered to be ordering (differant breed's) ..I like mcmurry ..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by