1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me for sure what breeds these 3 hens are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Missymac, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Hen #1
    Info: XL mint green eggs, 2 yrs old, was told she was a Black Star.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hen #2
    Info: Large beige eggs, 2 yrs old, was told she was a California White.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hen #3
    Info: Large Dark brown eggs, 2 yrs old, was told she was a New Hampshire Red.
    [​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    all her features look just like a black star, but the mint green egg thing really throws me off, if it weren't for the color of the egg, i would say black star.

i have no idea what the white one is sorry.

the red one looks like a red sex link too me, cause red sex links lay dark brown eggs.

but thats all i got sorry.

(if you would like to know more about red sex links and black stars PM me, other wise i would tell you now but gtg)

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Black hen - Easter Egger cross
    White hen - Easter Egger cross
    Red hen - Red Sexlink (aka Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, Gold Sexlink, etc.)

4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    1) Looks like a black EE to me. I'd rather call 'em Ameracaunas. [​IMG]
    I don't know about the rest... I'm not experienced with many standard breeds.

5. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    Looks like the first two are Easter Egger/Ameraucana crosses(single combs and beige eggs), and that last hen looks like a CinnQueen or Cherry Egger(purebred New Hamps & R.I.R.s have yellow legs I believe).

6. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    #1 is an EE, looks like an ameracauna except for the comb.
    #2 could also be an EE although I generally have no clue when it comes to white chickens [​IMG]
    #3 is a red sexlink (looks like a friends' NH Reds to me, but other people seem so sure that it is a sexlink I will go with them. [​IMG] )

You have some very pretty hens! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I thought the first two were EEs the green legs, did it for me. I have several EEs. However, I wasn't sure as some of the characteristics that all my others share, these have none. Example, none of my others are a solid color. None of my others have a comb like the black chicken. On the other hand I have never seen a black star with green legs.

The alleged New Hampshire has not layed an egg since she got here. I was told she layed dark brown eggs. Actually since I have not seen any of them actually lay the egg, any of them could be the green or beige egg layers. I was told the black layed green eggs-I have found green eggs, I was told the white layed white eggs-I have found no white eggs, I told the brown layed dark brown eggs-I have found no dark brown eggs..I am assuming the white's white egg is actually beige as when put near a white egg from my spitz(or polish not sure which one as one lays an off white and the other lays a pure white and I have not caught either laying yet) the egg is more of a very light brown/beige color.

I hope the above makes sense...

8. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    EE
    EE
    and Red Star

9. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Quote:It is a good thing I love my EEs or I may be the one serving up the "stink eye" right now!!

10. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by