Can anyone tell me her breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thechickenchick, Dec 6, 2010.

1. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    A neigbor offered me 12 free hens and one duck. All are Last Spring hens so it was a great deal [​IMG] I have searched through this section looking at pictures and just can't figure this one out. I am hoping you can help me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She has a double comb. She does not seem small enough to be a bantam but she is smaller than the BRs and Leg Horns.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's a Sicilian Buttercup. Besides hatchery quality/stock, they're very rare.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:x2

4. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Wow! Thanks I had no idea. I assume all of these are hatchery stock [​IMG] Does she appear to be of better quality?

5. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    looks like a Campine its a smaller standerd size chicken i used to have a few

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:They're all hatchery stock in the photo, but really, if it doesn't matter to you then all is fine. [​IMG] It should generally only matter to those who want to breed, show, or preserve the breed.

7. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:They're all hatchery stock in the photo, but really, if it doesn't matter to you then all is fine. [​IMG] It should generally only matter to those who want to breed, show, or preserve the breed.

It certainly doesn't matter to me. I assumed they all were anyway, besides like I said they were free, she was just tired of them. I accepted them sight unseen and had no idea what to expect. I was excited to get a few breeds that I didn't all ready have. I am enjoying getting to know them. Thanks for your help [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's a Sicilian Buttercup. The combs on the roosters are spectacular. Comb and type rule out Campine.

9. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by