Can anyone tell me how I can tell the sex of chocolate call ducks?

Soaring Chicks

Soaring Hawks Farm
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Henderson,NC
I hatched 3 choc calls and two grey calls. they greys are girls for sure.
I know the males make a rasping sound and ducks are louder. Problem is the girls are so loud I cant tell if one of the choc calls is rasping or not.
Here is a picture of them. Sorry not the best of the three in ?. What do yall think? Oh I am also looking for a grey drake and pastel ducks or quads and if i have all ducks in the choc a choc drake too. Thanks for any helpful info.
46537_beach_2011_update_breeders_493.jpg

You need to seperate them from your loud girls so youmcan hear them clearly. Until they molt and either grow a drake curl or not, the voice is next easy way to tell. Vent sexing is another if you are up for it. Very cute pets you have there, I like the white spot on the chest of the one chocolate.

Yeah I thought about doing that but at this point I'm working more then not so I have not had time to do that yet .
After posting I started researching and found out the choc drakes do get a green tint to their heads. as they are the same age and all I'm think at this point they are all ducks/ girls.
I might have time wen. to do a voice check on them.
Mean while I'll take any and all imput.
Oh there is two with the white the one you see has the biggest patch.
The other is more a dot and the last has none.
Thanks I really enjoy these little duck very much.
My pastel drake would be very happy if they were all ducks and I go no more drakes.
At this point they are for enjoyment and maybe show
Then start working one breeding.

Since they are so young, you may not see drake signs (sheen and drake feather) yet but still have more than one in the flock. Our juvenile calls have not molted and started showing adult coloring. One out of the group has his drake curl now, but we also know there are other boys (vent sexing) one being a grey who still looks like a girl. He will molt eventually. LoL

I simply pick mine up. When I am holding the duck, I can tell what noise that particular one is making.

DO NOT SHAKE THEM!!!!. Just pick them up and hold them. If they don't make any noise, walk away from the flock.

Well I lucked out and got off work today so I came straight home and pick them up one at a time and walked away from others. As they just wanted to cuddle in my hair standing there with them.
The little choc one is a duck she quacked very loudly on the way back.
The one with large whit spot is a duck very loud quack telling me off about leaving the others.
The one with small spot quacked loud one time ,but when wet it has a green tint in the wings is that normal ?
Not on head just wings.
The grey's are ducks as they have very big mouths and all I had to do was open door and they each came out quacking away after each bite of grass. My breed pastel drake ( he is over a 1yr old) came up from the big pond where he lost his ducks to a coyote a few months back and would not leave. I know he was lonely and did not want to loose him so he is with them now. Anyway his rasp is louder now but it is not a loud quack like the ducks where or these ones are.
So now what do y'all think ?

Back
Top Bottom