Can anyone tell me how long it takes until you can sex chicks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DownwardDog, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    I'm trying to avoid the hatchery route, so this leaves me with more birds than I can handle. I will have White Dorkings, Speckled Sussex, EEs, and Domniques. How many weeks old will they be before I can tell if they are pullets or cockerels? Will it be hard to get of the extra Roos or will people willing buy them as meat birds? I'll have about 33 chicks n my basement so that's not a good scenario for anyone! Thanks...

2. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    when they are a couple of days old check their wing feathers, if they have two different length feathers they are female, if both layers are the same length they are male ( according to several videos on youtube)

3. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Obviously any bird that is available sexed from a hatchery can be identified by a skilled person on the first day. Some breeds can be sexed by the wing feathers and I believe it can be done on day one. I'd say it could easily be eight weeks before the sex is obvious sometimes longer. Most silkies you can't tell for sure until you get eggs or crowing. As far as selling excess roos I know where I live people give them away so I wouldn't bother trying to sell them. Might be different where you live...

4. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by