1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me how many chickens I can have for my coop and run size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justplainchickn, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Justplainchickn

Justplainchickn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2014
    Colorado
    This is my first year getting chickens and we built our coop but now I am wondering how many chickens will fit. I have heard so many standards on how many square feet in coop and in the run per chicken but I of course i had to add a twist to it. I am wanting to get 2 Easter Eggers (standard) and I would like to have 2-3 Bantam Silkies. I know both do well with being in a run (from what I have read) and don't require a lot of space but I also don't want them to feel "cooped up". I will let them out daily in the yard and garden when I am home from work but otherwise they will be in there run for the first part of the day. My chicken coop is 4'x4'x 4 1/2' (tall) and the run is 8'x4' and 41/2' tall. Please help me out the chickens I want come in to the feed and supply store on the 27th. thank you[​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

What I've always been told and have gone by is 4 square feet inside for a standard size bird and 10 square feet outside, and half that for bantams. So a 4x4 coop should be able to hold 4 standard size birds or 8 bantam birds. Your run space at 8x4 would hold hold about 3 standard size birds or 6 bantams. So you should be good inside for 2 standard size and 2-3 bantams, your run space could only support 2 standards and 2 bantams. With that space and free ranging them when you are home to do so should prevent them from feeling cooped up. So I think you should have enough space for 2 standard and 2 bantam, particularly if you are letting them free range when you can.

3. Justplainchickn

Nov 9, 2014
    Colorado
    Thank you so much for you help. Nice to hear standards from someone who has chickens rather than just an online article.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The 4 and 10 rule of thumb is a minimum, IMO...depends on your climate, predator load and flock dynamic.
    Keep in mind that it's the open floor space that counts....thing can get crowded quick with waterers, feeders and nests.

5. Justplainchickn

Nov 9, 2014
    Colorado
    It sounds like better safe than sorry. Will probably have to keep the numbers down until we get a bigger coop and a lager area for them to run around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by