Can anyone tell me how to treat this

Mother hen 119

Chirping
Oct 18, 2017
Millington, MD
the other day I noticed that my chickens had some worms in their poop. I deworm them in the worms have gone but now I am noticing that they have a bloody mucus looking poop. How should I treat this and will corid work or tetracycline work?
20181111_092300.jpg
I
20181111_092307.jpg
20181111_092300.jpg

Those are textbook pictures of tapeworms, although there could be other types of worms. I would get some Equimax horse paste at your feed store today. It has praziquantel, and dosage is 0.03 ml per pound. So that would be 0.15 mg for a 5 pound chicken. Do you have a weight on her? Try to remove the host organisms for tapeworms, such as worms, snail, flies or other possible hosts. It might be good to change out your coop bedding. Treat all your birds with an individual oral dose.
upload_2018-11-13_8-37-46.jpeg

This is the damaged intestinal lining sloughing off. Offer them some Greek yogurt and add probiotics to their food for a week. That will help rebuild healthy gut flora.
Also, did you repeat the worming 7 to 10 days after the first dose to kill the worms that will hatch from the eggs that were left behind?

I think you should consider coccidiosis in your list of possibilities, and consider treatment with amprolium or some other coccidiostat. Are your chickens sick? Or are their feces just weird? How old are they?
The worms you are seeing could be tapeworms, but they don't generally come out in multiple-segment chunks like that. Are these photos of freshly voided feces? Or could these be fly larvae?

Where are you located, or what state? That worm medication has no ingredients that will kill worms. I would take some fresh droppings tomorrow am into a local vet who will do a fecal test with same day results. Call around to to make sure they will agree to save time.

I agree that the droppings may contain tapeworm segments, but there could be other types of worms that require a different medication. Praziquantel found in Equimectin Horse Wormer is good for tapeworms. For other worms, I would use Valbazen, or if you cannot get that, use SafeGuard horse paste or liquid goat wormer.

@dawg53 is very experienced with worms and treatment, so he may want to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom