1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me if I have a pair of silkies THANKS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlover594, Oct 24, 2013.

1. chickenlover594

chickenlover594 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    I bought a pair of silkies but I'm not sure about the hen, she crows too but I'm not worried about that because I have a bantam hen who does that too. Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^this is my "hen"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is the rooster

btw, the rooster is bigger than my "hen" but I'm not sure of my hen because is so hard to sex these birds. I'll love to hear your opinions. THANKS IN ADVANCE [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both look like cockerels

3. chickenlover594

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks ;)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

5. chickenlover594

Oct 24, 2013

How can I know the silkie hen from the roos?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  6. olijo123

olijo123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    I agree. They both look like roos. Its hard to tell the gender of silkies, so I'm not sure how you could tell them apart because they are so similar.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Looks like boys.....

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silkie hens have larger crests (usually), a squatter stance, and a smaller comb, and no "streamers". Streamers are pointy, longer feathers coming out of the crest of a male Silkie. Male Silkies tend to be rather tall, with large, redder combs, and a smaller crest.

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There are a number of notable differences. Hens usually have rounder, larger crests, a small comb/wattles, a round, squat body shape, and a lower stance. Silkie roosters, on the other hand, usually stand taller, have a more slicked back looking crest, show a much larger comb/wattles, and have a generally more rough appearance. They will also have streamers on their crest, which are narrow, string like feathers that project from the back of the comb.

[​IMG]A hens, round crest and small comb.[​IMG]Not the best photo for showing this, but you can see the larger comb/wattles and pointed "streamers" on this male Silkie's crest.

[​IMG]This photo clearly demonstrates the size and body shape characteristics of male and female Silkies.

10. chickenlover594

Oct 24, 2013

Thanks a lot, my hen is stand shorter than the rooster and the heads are very different although I don't think that in the photos I provided could be seen. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by