Can anyone tell me if this Chicken looks like a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChelleBelle, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Glendale, Arizona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is our chicken Sugar. Can anyone tell just by looking at these pictures what sex it is? We are first time chicken owners and have no idea how to tell boys from girls. We got all our birds as babies.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sugar is a very sweet name for your rooster. (I should talk - I have a Tom turkey named Madge.)

3. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Glendale, Arizona
    So she is definitely a He... His name will have to be changed to Sugar-Daddy.. lol Unfortunately We'll have to re-home him. Where we live we aren't supposed to have any Roosters. Only Hens allowed in our neighborhood. :(

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that is an EE cockerel all the way

5. ChixAddict

ChixAddict Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Seguin, TX
    Agreed!! I bought a silver EE that the seller was positive was a pullet...and so was I !! After first molt, the feathers came back in and it was obviously a roo. I have a black Ameraucana that was the same way.

6. cyndiloowho

cyndiloowho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Ut
    He is beautiful!

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    100% Easter Egger rooster. He'll be real pretty when he matures! [​IMG]

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio

100 % rooster. Let me tell you how we know for future reference. Firstly, in an Easter Egger, that red coloring on the wings is a dead give-away for male. Secondly, do you see the long, pointy feathers on his neck and hanging over his back in front of this tail? The neck feathers are called hackle feathers and the feathers on the back are called saddle feathers, and they are specific to roosters. Your boy also has a very large, red comb--way too big to be a hen. Finally, that big, green, long, upright tail just screams rooster. Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Don't feel bad, I had a huge easter egger rooster that was named Betty til he died!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by