Can anyone tell me if this is a part of moulting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SamAbramian, Jan 12, 2015.

1. SamAbramian

SamAbramian New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    HI there, my 1yr old chickens haven't been laying for two months now which could be due to the weather and a pest (which has now been dealt with). Two of them have also been moulting but they all seem to have feathers missing on their necks. I've included a picture below of my Rhode Island Red which shows the tips of the cartilage around the top of her neck and head. Is this normal or do they have a health problem?

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - the hen pictured is still showing pin/blood feathers with their covering which will be shed as the feathers mature - totally normal. By the way she is not a RIR - very likely a Speckled Sussex cross. She looks to be in good condition and about a month or so away from return to egg laying.

3. SamAbramian

SamAbramian New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks so much for replying! I am a little surprised she is a cross breed, though her feathers have changed over the last year. I'm glad you think they're in good condition too, I hope egg laying returns in a month. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by