Can anyone tell me if this is a roo or hen. French Splash Maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by usfarmchicks, Oct 10, 2013.

1. usfarmchicks

usfarmchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Baltlmore, MD
    [​IMG]I
    I hatched 2 eggs back in December that were supposed to be blue splash marans. One I rehomed and that one is laying beautiful dark brown eggs. This one I kept and have yet to find any dark brown eggs in the nesting boxes. This one is larger and has a way larger comb but the comb flops over so I figured it was a hen. Yesterday "Lucy" managed to cut her comb and was a bloody mess. I brought her in the house cleaned her up and placed her in a crate in the basement so she could dry out and let her comb heal. This morning I swore I heard what sounded like an attempt at crowing coming from the basement. Later in the day my husband texted me that he thought I had a transgender chicken in the basement since he also heard what sounded like crowing attempts.

Now I'm not sure what I have here. Our city ordinances do not allow for roosters so if it crows it goes.

Anyone have any clue as to what this one is?

Also just if anyone wonders the dark around her/his head is from where the blood was. She/he wasn't particularly thrilled with my bathing it so I cleaned up the wound and wiped her down the best I could without causing to much stress.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I see nothing about her that says 'rooster'. I would say that she is a hen, and that she is probably laying - just not laying a dark brown egg. A rooster at her age would have very evident hackle and saddle feathers .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a picture of her tail?

4. usfarmchicks

usfarmchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Baltlmore, MD
    Sorry the pic I have shows most of her tail. Nothing about the tail that says rooster either.

5. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    With that comb and wattle that so looks like a rooster. Looks to be a young rooster still, how old is he? Does he have thick legs?

My bad I so misread that. If the chicken is 10months old and doesn't have a rooster tail, saddle feathers, then it is most definitely a hen just not laying the dark colored eggs like you were expecting. It is possible for a hen to crow like a rooster so that may be why you are hearing the funny crowing noise. I saw the comb and wattles and thought rooster as I have never seen a hen with such big wattles before. Since you have her in the house and separated from the rest you should get to see what color egg she lays.

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    10 months old? Surely she's a hen!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hen. I agree, she may just not have the dark shell gene. Since you've got her separated, you can tell what color she's laying.

8. DeannaA

DeannaA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Did you find out?

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    She looks like a large combed hen :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by