• Vulture (Ameracuna/Easter Egger)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosemary (Buff Orpington)

• Thyme (Buff Orpington)

• Beyonce (Ameracuana/Easter Egger)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Chicken Nugget (number 1) (Barred Rock)

• Roxi (Sex Link)

• Chicken Nugget (number 2) (Barred Rock)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Big Bird (Ameracuana/Easter Egger)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None of the above/Not Sure

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Powellcole5490

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2016
Edgewood, New Mexico
So my small flock free ranges all day on 13 acres here in New Mexico. I would have figured a clear rooster or two would have shown his face and let his voice be heard by now, but as new chicken people we cannot tell if we have a rooster. I've attached some pictures below. Maybe some of the experts on this page can determine if we have a rooster. Also we have 3 chickens that were sold to us as "Ameracaunas" but we think they are Easter Eggers, but we cannot tell much of a difference between the two at this point. Hopefully someone will help us settle that debate as well. Thank you for your time!!

This is Vulture. This is one of our Ameracaunas/Easter Egger. He/She is 13 weeks old.

This is Rosemary & Thyme. They are Buff Orpington and we are pretty certain they are both pretty girls. They are 10 weeks old.

This is Beyonce. He/She is one of the Ameracuana/Easter Egg birds.

This barred rock is Chicken Nugget (number 1). We are not sure if they are a he or a she.

This is Roxi. She is a Sex link (or at least that is what she was sold to us as). So we are pretty certain she is female.

This is the other barred rock. Chicken Nugget (number 2). Yes, they share the same name because we could not tell them apart for the longest time.

And this is our last Ameracuana/Easter Egger. This is Big Bird. If we had to point to one that we thought was a rooster is would be this guy/gal.

Thanks again for looking. We really appreciate it!!!

Coleman

Yes you have Easter Eggers, and they are all pullets as are the orpingtons, sex link and at least the darker barred bird. Do the barred birds have single or rose combs? They look almost like Dominiques. Nugget # 2 may be a cockerel, and I only say that because of the lighter coloring - I see no other cockerel signs.

Yes you have Easter Eggers, and they are all pullets as are the orpingtons, sex link and at least the darker barred bird.  Do the barred birds have single or rose combs?  They look almost like Dominiques.  Nugget # 2 may be a cockerel, and I only say that because of the lighter coloring - I see no other cockerel signs.

Thank you for the info!!! We had our suspicions of one of the chicken nuggets which have just a single comb.

Oooh...controversy! (Joking) so one of the Plymouth barred rocks had a more red face that the other and their legs are a darker shade. For a while they were bowing up to everyone so that is why we thought they might be a cockerel. When are they going to start crowing or "cock-a-doodle-dooing" as my wife would say?

Some boys start crowing at just a few weeks old, others wait till they are close to a year old. Most will start crowing between 14 and 20 weeks. Chicken Nugget #2 might be a cockerel.

Guessing chicken nugget #2 is a cockerel, but I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in. The rest all look like pullets to me at this point.

Chicken nugget #2 looks like a cockerel because of the light barring. The rest are girls for sure!

:Edited for grammar correction

Last edited:
Chicken nugget #2 looks like a cockerel because of the light barring. The rest are girls for sure!

:Edited for grammar correction

Looks like the consensus is that Chicken Nugget (#2) is a he rather than a she. So since I have 7 Hens to one rooster, do you believe that is a good hen/rooster ratio for a completely free range flock? While I am sure we will unfortunately lose some because they are free range, I do like the idea of having a rooster around for a little protection. Do you think I should look at adding a rooster or is the 7-to-1 a decent mix?

Coleman

Looks like the consensus is that Chicken Nugget (#2) is a he rather than a she. So since I have 7 Hens to one rooster, do you believe that is a good hen/rooster ratio for a completely free range flock? While I am sure we will unfortunately lose some because they are free range, I do like the idea of having a rooster around for a little protection. Do you think I should look at adding a rooster or is the 7-to-1 a decent mix?

Coleman

No, 1 rooster for your other 7 hens is plenty.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom