Can anyone tell me sex of my peachicks?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by thndrdancr, Oct 25, 2009.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    My two peas are about 3 months old now, just getting some coloring on their necks. One is about a week older than the other, they were hatched in July.
    Sure would appreciate knowing whether they are male or female. Thanks ahead of time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the youngest I believe, hard to tell apart except for ones tail is a bit shorter than the other...

[​IMG]

And the other one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    they are both males.

males have barring on their backs at that age... girls dont.

my photo - hen on top, male below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  3. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Agree. They also have brown/tan flight feathers.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    That's what I was going to say.....two males. They look just like my male did when he was 3 mos. [​IMG]

5. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Thanks, I sure do appreciate it. I was thinking from what I have read that they were both probably males, but I am new to the pea world so really wasnt sure at all.

So the females dont have the brown flight feathers on the bottom of the wings?

Two boys will be ok together, wont they, since I dont have any girls yet?

6. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Correct about the wings. You can sex them earlier by the barring and later by the wings unless they are split. The guys will be OK without girls. They will not be heavy into breeding until 2011.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's odd, I have sen tons of peafowl hens in various colors and patterns with brown/tan primary flight feathers?
    Though not as orange as the cocks, they do have them, the barring would be a more reliable method I would believe...

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The blues, the flight feather are a sure way, but not with other colors and patterns even BS

Most of mine their 2 nd year they are great breeders. But I dont put as many peahens with them,as the older males.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Well there you go!
    I dont have blues, too common
    Got muticus, imperators, midnight bar and bs, opal bar and bs, cameo, hi % spaulding, bronze, spaulding pied white eyes, and whites lots of brown winged hens there... But even on blues, arent the hens primary flights at least brown ish? If not, what color are they, just searced a lot of images, and they looked that way to me, unless I was seeing a lot of split pics?
    Curious now!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I always sex my IB chicks by flight feathers......... brownish for female/ rust for males [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by