Can anyone tell me the breeds of my chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by luvfurnfeathers, Nov 17, 2013.

1. luvfurnfeathers

luvfurnfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Hi
    I live from northeast Pa.
    I am married and have 2 dogs and 1 cat (2 rescues 1 stray) and now 4 hens and 1 rooster.

I am very new to raising chickens. Got a coop, fenced in a nice area for them, went to a friends farm and took 4 girls (all different breeds) and Rosco Jr the rooster who doesn't get along with the other roosters.

I have no idea on any of their breeds just that it was love at first sight. I got them in June and the summer went well, I had one sneezing and weezing last month ( she is the one that never lays eggs she may be to old), got on BYC and read up what could be wrong, got her on Tetroxy for 10 days and she is back to normal.

I have so much to learn about them, and every time I have a problem I get on BYC and seem to find the answer so I am finally decided to join.

I know I will be asking a lot of questions but my first one is can anyone tell me what breeds my chickens and rooster are? They lay tan to dark brown eggs.
    thanks for any help and for all the help everyone has already given just by posting problems and answers, this is a great place to learn!

[​IMG]

2. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    :welcome The red one on the roost looks like a red sex link, the black one maybe a black Australorp, the barred one in front is probably a barred rock, the yellow one is a buff Orpington, and the one in the back is ......seems like a Easter egger rooster to me, but I may be wrong there.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. [​IMG]

The grey barred one is a Barred Rock, the yellow one is a Buff Orpington, the black one is a Black Australorp, and the red one on the perch is a Rhode Island Red. I don't know what the rooster is.

5. I agree, but the rooster doesn't seem like an EE to me... I could be wrong but..

6. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Exactly what I was thinking.

7. luvfurnfeathers

luvfurnfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    thank you all for the help in my breed identification. I need to get better pictures of my rooster but everyone except the barred rock is in a full molt and not very attractive. I looked up pictures of all the names put out there and found I have a Red Sex Link, Australorp, Barred rock and Buff Orpington.
    (Thats my girls[​IMG])

Thanks!!!!!

8. Chick Swing

Chick Swing Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Columbia MO
    Welcome to BYC! Nice coop![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    your coop is beautiful, love all the windows

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Pretty and colorful flock you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by