1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me the colour please?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sammit, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]

can anyone tell me what colour this little girl is please? vent says female and she still has chest spots, although she is about 2wks off starting to lay. she has two white flight feathers so that would make her a tuxedo??

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Wild type pattern just your regular cortunix[​IMG]

3. sammit

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    so pharaos can be that colour? ive never had a wild type with the deep red chest before. most of mine have had cream breasts with the males turning slight orange, but never this red!!

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep happens. I freezer camp those because sometimes it can be hard to autosex them and I raise so many during the spring and summer I don't have time to mess around.

5. sammit

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    understandable. i wouldve thought male too if i hadnt have known her age, seen the remaining chest spots and flipped her over!!

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I get more males with that dark rust coloring than females but with either it takes an extra week or more to be able to sex them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by