Can anyone tell me the gender...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SA Farm, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I got these chicks yesterday and they were dubbed Aracauna, but not only am I not convinced of that, I wonder if they're old enough to figure out the gender? I'd like to be able to do it myself eventually, so if you can point out what you're seeing that tells you the gender, I would appreciate it [​IMG] Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

They're definitely a little young to tell the sex. So far the first one looks female and the second one looks male, but these things will change as they get older. It's much easier to tell around 7 weeks.

Not Araucanas as they have tails. They could be Easter Eggers, but definitely an odd mix... They have yellow legs (EE's usually have green) and pea combs (this is true of EE's). The top one looks like she has feathered legs, is that true? They're really cute, but it's really hard for me to say what breed they are.

3. tweber

tweber Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    I think they`re parakeets!! LOL

4. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the help. The first one does appear to have a little feathering on the legs. The ones I posted are a little older than the others...We got five 'aracaunas' and two have green legs.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The first one also appears to have a little bit of a crest!
    If I were to guess gender I'd say the top bird looks girly and the second looks like a boy. Its the feather patterns that I'm going by. The top chick has even all over markings and the bottom chicks are more patchy. As the previous poster said, that could change though. You'll want to look out for red patches in the hackles (neck), wing bows and saddles (just before the tail). They can appear in other places, but those are the usually spots. Red is a dead giveaway for a cockerel.
    Somewhere in this section is an Easter Egger sexing tips and tricks thread, its got lots of pics and info ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by