Can anyone tell me the genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by a123andpoof, Apr 2, 2012.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

So picked up five chicks from a local feed store a few weeks ago. I have my suspicions about 3 of them. They were labled as 90% pullets so I am praying all or most are pullets. If you can tell for the Austarlorp above and the buff orpinton. Thier are only 2 austarlorps, 2 buffs, and the white is a delaware who really needs to be a female cause we have yet to get a sweeter chick. While we don't spend much time with them as we don't want to get attached, when we sit out with them he/she comes and sits in out lap. If more pics are needed let me know and i can post more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    at the moment they look like pullets.... but, just a caution, the friendlier ones are usually roosters ;)

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    90% is just a disclaimer. Those chick sexers know what they are doing. It's actually far more accurate than that.

I don't see anything to indicate a cockerel at this age either.

4. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Thats good! I was worried the most about the autralorps and the delaware. I know nothing about the australorp, but the tails were bugging me cause they were so long. Glad it's looking good we don't need anymore roosters. We have 3 live in a fairly residential area and am afraid the neighbors are going to get us in trouble before we move in the summer cause of our dumb barred rock boys. But i love them which is why they are not in the stew pot [​IMG]

5. Golden Phoenix

Golden Phoenix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    australorps have long tails.

6. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I see all pullets too. Congrats!

7. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, good to know. We just got them cause they are dual purpose and said they did okay in cooler climates. Thanks!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good choices, all girls :thumbsup

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The boys in my experience are less frightened of human contact, but you can get a sweet girl at a young age. My favourite flies up on my shoulder and is a girl (5.5 weeks, I am almost positive is a female)

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    So far, they all look like pullets to me! Beware though, in my experience Orpingtons can be tricky to guess. I was fooled by a cockerel until he was 12 weeks old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by