1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me the sex of this black silkie bantam (~5 months old)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by portianaomi, Oct 20, 2009.

1. portianaomi

portianaomi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    West Sacramento
    This black silkie bantam that we got from a feed store is approximately 5 months ago. We heard "her" make a crow-sorta-noise this morning...we'd really like to keep this chicken we call Shiva, but will not be able to if its a rooster. Can anyone help us tell what it is? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank You! [​IMG]

~Portia~

2. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I have a twin to your silkie bantam. I thought it was a roo but it turns out she is a she, and lays miniature eggs.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like a roo to me, its still a little young to tell yet.

4. chicken truck

chicken truck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Columbiana, Alabama
    looks like roo to me also.

5. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    The crow could have been the egg song...
    To me the body looks like a hens, but the comb looks like a roos
    Ill say roo...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since that is a pet quality bird, it may be harder to tell because not all the girls will always keep a small comb, that said, I'd be inclined to say it is a she, because a pet quality roo would probably have a red comb by now.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I say a pullet. My pet Silkie roo had a huge red comb by 4 months and lots of streamers on the head and was crowing by 5 months...pathetic little crow, but a crow.

8. portianaomi

portianaomi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    West Sacramento
    Thank you so much for your input. Unfortunately, it is true that Shiva is a roo and we must try to find him a good home. I posted him in the "for sale" section. I really hope somebody will be willing to take him in our area. If you guys know anyone in the Sacramento, CA area, please let me know. ~Thanks~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by