Can anyone tell me their experiances off hatching using egg boxes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs Chickens, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Hello

I have a hatch due on the 16th of 7 Orpington eggs.
    Am I right that sometime people hatch their eggs in egg boxes and if so how? All the ins & out please?
    I have hatch before but wanted to give this a go as I have heared that it could be more sucessful?

Many thanks

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

well, i don't know if using egg box, i'm using egg carton.

wish other will help. [​IMG]

3. Mrs Chickens

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Are Egg boxes & egg cartons the same thing? Just ones plastic and the other cardboard?

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

well, i don't know.

this is an egg carton

[​IMG]

if your egg boxes possess same shape with this then it is same thing both of them. perhaps different material but same thing.

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    can anyone who as used the egg carton method to hatch eggs, please give us all some pointers. i have 41 eggs in a hovabator with fan and turner. my question is , what do they do when they hatch? just sit in there shell, try to get out, there wont be very much room in there for them when they hatch. or do i need to fire up my big homemade sportsman type bator with a large hatching tray and use the big egg carton flats to space them out more. i realy would like to use just the hovabator. this is also a test hatch for the hovabator. i just added the fan. thanks............................

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. Mrs Chickens

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Hi Mulia yes they are the samething it one of those silly UK things we say. Like tomato or tamato both the same thing but we say one while everyone else say the other coz we are on and island and don't get out much - haha. So you have experiance of hatching this way please please do tell??

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its like some people same soda, and some say pop. Right. sorry to butt in, just feeling a naughty today, sorry.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Check out the sticky thread in incubating and hatching eggs thats what i did. I'm on my second hatch, I only did 5 eggs the first time, didnt want to kill alot not knowing how to do it well,
    It worked 4 hatch and one not fertile. This time I did 6 BCM eggs 5 are still going one is a quiter. But anyways I followed the direction in the sticky. (Oh if you have turner you dont need the egg cartons I think I dont have an egg turner I hatch out of egg cartons) Good Luck

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've hatched using the paper cartons and without using them. I prefer using them to be honest. My hatches seem to go better and clean up is much easier when I use cartons. [​IMG]

10. Mrs Chickens

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Thats right mstricer and there are so many of them - will check out link thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by