1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me what breed and possible sex - Two week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AnnieClarabel, Oct 30, 2013.

1. AnnieClarabel

AnnieClarabel New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi, I am new to owning chickens(had one when I was 13 but that was to long ago to remember).

We got these two chicks from my sons pre-school on Friday when they were 10 days old. They have not been sexed. I know it is probably to early at two weeks but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway. All they said was one was Tiger coloured and the other Lemon coloured. Here are some pics - First 3 are Annie and second three are of Clarabel

Annie:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Clarabel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It's really too early to tell on gender unless they are sex linked breed or hybrid. Neither one is screaming possible rooster at this point, although Clarabel has a teeny bit more comb developed.

Clarabel's coloring suggests either a New Hampshire and even possibly a Rhode Island Red although she is a bit lighter red for that. She might possibly then be a Red Sex Link which case she would definitely be a girl. However, it is hard to tell at this stage as they look very similar and some of the baby down is missing so the color is changing from the day old chick which might indicate better. Rhode Islands are darker auburn fuzz over yellow while the New Hampshire and Red Stars can be lighter auburn over yellow fuzz.

Annie could be a number of white based birds that will have some black markings on wing and neck if those smudgings prove true...which would likely make it a White Rock or Delaware or Light Sussex...and maybe even just a White Leghorn if the smudgy markings are just shadow and grow white feathers.

Feet look rather pink for many of those breeds, but I've had their legs yellow up with time too so I often discredit leg color in small chicks as it can change a bit.

Be interesting to see what others say too.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  3. lizgarf

lizgarf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    I'm no expert, but so far Annie looks more likely to be a boy and Clarabel more likely a girl. I base this on Annie's very upright stance, and on the very different wing-feather length between the two. Clarabel has more developed and longer wing feathers and more of a tail than Annie.

4. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by